Tips for applicants
Great preparation builds confidence.
Are you interested in a career at PORR? Great. We have put together a couple of application tips for you so that we can all get the best out of the process.
Be sure to apply online.
We get lots of applications every day. We know how stressful the application process can be and that’s why we want to be able to reply as soon as possible. It’s quick and easy to apply online using our job exchange – either for a concrete advertisement or to send an unsolicited application. The system enables us to process your application efficiently and guarantees fast response times. This is good for us and good for you.
Your application documents are your business card.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Maybe you’ve heard this saying before. First impressions are essential, particularly for job applications. And that’s why we recommend that you put some time into your application documents. Think about how you can showcase your knowledge and skills. Explain why you want to work for us and what you can contribute to PORR.
Put this information together succinctly in a personal cover letter and your CV. Supplement these with any relevant certificates. As a minimum, we expect a copy of the highest level of education you have completed and a testimonial from your most recent employer if you have already had a job.
Here are a few more things to pay attention to when preparing your documents:
Your cover letter.
Do you want to arouse our interest? Then you should formulate your letter appropriately and note the following points:
- Tell us what you find interesting about the position you are applying for and why you would be a great addition to our PORR team. If you are writing an unsolicited application, let us know why you want to work for PORR.
- Please address your letter directly to the contact person stated on the job advertisement.
- Include your full address. Important: please don’t forget to give us your email address and a telephone number we can reach you during the day.
Ideally your CV should provide a fast overview and assessment of your professional life to date. The best way to achieve this is to pay attention to the following aspects:
The formal criteria.
- Choose a well-structured format that gives a good overview.
- Use powerful key words and avoid verbose text.
- Don’t forget to list your concrete professional responsibilities with their precise dates: please specify to the exact month so that we can see the length of your employment contracts.
- And, if you want to, please send us a photo of yourself. This should ideally be a shot that shows what you look like in a normal day at work.
How to make the content of your CV meaningful.
Talk is cheap, as we all know. That’s why we recommend that you present yourself as accurately as possible and give a realistic assessment of your skills. Exaggerations usually come to light during the interview and cause frustration on both sides. Your CV should contain the following content:
- Personal data
- Professional experience and/or work experience placements, student jobs
- Any periods spent working/studying abroad
- Additional skills and qualifications
- Foreign languages
- IT skills
- Other activities (e.g. volunteer work etc.)
We hope you have found these tips useful and wish you every success with your next application.
Having a stress-free interview.
Congratulations. Your application has piqued our interest and we would like to meet you in person. We want to learn more about your education, your professional career and your interests. Take this opportunity to present yourself and your individual advantages in an authentic way.
Be well-prepared for the interview. Read through the profile of the job you are applying for carefully and think about why you are the ideal person to fill the position. Learn about our company from our website and jot down any questions you may have. You will benefit from this twice over: you will see that the situation is much less stressful, at the same time as showing us that you are really interested in working for PORR.
Four things you should think about before your interview with us:
- Why have you applied to us?
- What appealed to you in particular about this concrete position?
- What do you know about PORR?
Your professional vision and goals:
- Which challenges have you already conquered successfully?
- What are your professional goals – in the long and short term?
The way you see yourself:
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are your strengths?
- Where do you see potential for improvement?
The questions you want to ask us:
- Do you want to know more about PORR or the position advertised? The interview with us is the perfect opportunity for this.